Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tea Party Sundress

This Oliver + S pattern has been sitting and waiting for the greater part of a year now. Upon realizing that Alice was about to grow out of the largest size, I decided I need to finally make her a dress. It helped that my super-awesome husband bought me a serger for Christmas (after years of heavy hints and emailed links) that I was itching to use. For those of you wondering, yes, I begged and pleaded for a serger and let it sit for months before playing around with it. That’s a story for another day.

alice and miles

Anyway, I fumbled through my modest fabric stash for something suitable and kept going back to a couple half-yards from Joel Dewberry’s Aviary line. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough yardage. I don’t know what took me so long, but eventually I realized I could mix up the skirt fabrics a la the hippie dresses I made during my younger days.

aj

I always overestimate the time it takes to sew clothing, especially with a serger. It took me twice as long to cut the fabric than it did to sew the pieces together! The result is a cute little springy dress that will hopefully fit her through summer. I cut and started the bloomers, but never finished. Alice is almost always in a cloth diaper, which are cute enough on their own, so I’m not too concerned about it.
alice in her new dress

Alice has plenty of room to grow wider, but the dress is already at her knees. I should have planned better considering she’s usually around the 30th percentile for weight and 80th for height. Oh well, at least we know Baby Girl number 2 can get some use out of it, too!


Pattern: Oliver + S, Tea Party Sundress
Fabric: Joel Dewberry, Aviary. Amy Butler Quilting Solids.

another action shot