Yay! A finished object. I can't even remember how long ago I started these socks it's been so long. I had to refer back to blog archives just to get an estimate.
I don't know why I thought I would have enough yarn to get all the way to my knee. I think logically, I knew, but some glimmer of hope (aka denial) kept pushing me along. With the help of Veronique's advice to count stipes and my trusty office postal scale, I was able to determine when to stop on sock one and cast on for sock two. Even with this assistance, I was still worried as I neared the end. I actually had to splice yarn scraps from my cast on tail to have enough yarn for binding off! There were some ugly moments. I made it, though!
Pattern: A mix of Wendy's Toe Up Socks, Diana's Knee Highs, and trial and error.
Yarn: Vesper Sock Yarn in Midnight Knitter
Yardage: 440 yards - ALL of it
Started: about May 13th
Completed: August 11
Notes: I'm 90% pleased with these socks. Next time I make knee socks, I'll... 1) have enough yarn, 2) start calf increases only a few inches above the ankle. Aside from those couple learning mistakes, I love the socks. The yarn is wicked soft and the colors are fantastic.Look how much Miles likes them!
I've also been working on my other WIPs. I frogged Birch (it really had to be done) and started Birch v. 2. Here's the first repeat:
I'm only just started but am already much more confident about the finished product (which my mom will hopefully have soon). Seeing those little leaves form keeps me wanting more!