Skip to main content

Colorblocking and, er, Fiberblocking?

(I'm just going to ignore the fact that this is my first post in nearly a year an a half...)

With just under a month past its Christmas due date, I cast off on my niece’s Christmas sweater.  After tearing up the internets for the perfect pattern, my sister send me some links to sweaters she liked, including this one.  Something about the simplicity called out to me and so I checked out my yarn stash to see what would work.  I gravitated to the little hearts, but when I remembered I had this shocking pink just itching to be used, visions of colorblocking danced in my head (sorry, it is a Christmas sweater, though, people! And I am a big, giant dork.) 


Anyway, as is the standard, I went back and forth between shocking pink and winter white and shocking pink and oatmeal...winter white… shocking pink.  I eventually decided on the pink/oatmeal combo, only to soon doubt whether or not I could pull off using two fiber types.  Surely it’s been done.  Not by me, but by more adventurous knitters. Also, the wool was of a slightly thinner gauge.  Details…

I jumped in with both feet and started knitting the 6-month size, but after knitting up several inches of stockinette I quickly realized my niece, Penelope, would be swimming in it.  So, I frogged and tried again with the 0-3 month size.  Penelope has my favorite baby physique and so although she is 7 months, I was trying for a 12 month size sweater.  (Note: this was on the way to Christmas in NJ, somehow I still thought I would finish this in time.  I really will never learn.)

The directions were clear and the sweater knit up quickly.  I changed colors after joining the arms.  To fasten the neck, I added some metal snaps.

wee metal snaps

Despite the slightly larger gauge of the cotton yarn, it was during blocking that the fiber/gauge difference was most notable.  The wool section dried in a matter of hours, but the cotton yoke took nearly two days to fully dry out and soften up. All finished, I think the use of two fibers works fine and will make for somewhat of an internal air conditioning system.  Just like with zebras. I’ll report back when I see how Penel likes it!


every little sweater needs a pop of neon, amiright?


Pattern: Buddy Sweater
Yarn: Cascade 220 in Doeskin
           Blue Sky Dyed Cotton in Lotus & a Neon Yellow/Green 
Needles: Size 8 Addis
Size: My gauge was super off, so I knit the 0-3 month size, but with 12-month length to fit a 20-lb. six month old baby. 

Comments

Beverly said…
What a fun sweater!
Kelly said…
Thanks, Beverly :)

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive! I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit! I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me! Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can ...

WIP: February (Little) Lady Sweater

  I’m generally not one to reknit patterns, reread books or rewatch movies. That said, once in awhile I come across one of the aforementioned that warrants repeating. And repeating. And repeating. I can’t get enough. It’s the reason I’ve watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation 400 times, memorized most episodes of Sex and the City and Seinfeld and it’s the reason there is always at least one Elizabeth Zimmermann’s baby sweater on the needles. Mostly the Baby Surprise Jacket (the surprise gets me every time. Seriously, how does that strange stretch of fabric become a sweater?!), but also the February Baby (or Lady!) Sweater .  There’s just something about that gull stitch pattern that makes this sweater fly off the needles. There’s enough to it to keep my interest, but it’s not so taxing I can’t multitask or memorize the pattern. And the garter stitch yoke / lace body combination makes the sweater appropriate for any season, isn’t too girly, and has that little extr...

Norwegian Stockings

I finished my Norwegian Stockings on Monday... Here they are! NOTES: Pattern: Norwegian Stockings, Folk Socks by Nancy Bush Yarn: Dale Baby Ull, 2 skeins chocolate brown (3172), 1.5 skeins sage green (9436), just enough for snowflakes off white (0020). Needles: Size 2, 40" Addis Dates Knit: February 13, 2006 - March 13, 2006 Modifications: As Eunny and Jess did, I went down a needle size and subbed Baby Ull for Heilo. Notes: It's been said before, but I'll say it again... what a great pattern. Extremely well written, memorizable (is that a word?), and interesting from cast on to cast off. Usually I get sick of projects about halfway through, but trudge through for the cherished FO. With these, I was entertained the entire process and am itching to cast on for some more fair isle. I'm hooked. It feels weird to only knit with one hand! I used magic loop, which kept me sane. I like dpns, but I would have a nervous breakdown if any stitches slipped off ... I'm ...