Skip to main content

Granola.



In all my years of baking, I don’t think there’s any one food I’ve tinkered with more than granola. 

Actually, that’s a lie. Let me try again. Besides chocolate chip cookies, there's no food I've tinkered with more than granola.  

But granola! The goal: delicious, crunchy yet chunky enough to eat on its own, and not just dessert masquerading as a healthy snack. Doesn’t sound too hard. 

But… the best tasting is inevitably the worst for you (not to name names...Panera copycat recipe). Consistency should not be a trail mix of sugared oats and nuts and fruit. There should be chunks you can hold without crumbling.  

So, when I stumbled upon a granola so good the restaurant sends guests home with their own little prepackaged personal sized portion, I had to give it a try. And to document my trials so when I inevitably forget the recipe, I'm writing this post so it’s here waiting and ready. (And maybe, you, too, have been seeking that perfect granola recipe??)

Of course, I didn’t plan far enough in advance to get all the specific ingredients (details!), so I made due with what was in the house. Also, I tried to make it a bit healthier with less sugar and more nutrient-laden superfoods. 




I followed the directions to a T, just made the aforementioned mods to the ingredients. 

My Tweaked Version: 
2 ¾ cups rolled oats 
1 cup shelled pistachios I mixed chopped walnuts and slivered almonds
1 cup unsweetened coconut chips I used regular unsweetened shredded coconut
 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ cup light brown sugar I used just ¼ cup
 cup maple syrup
 cup extra virgin olive oil Coconut Oil 
¾ cup dried sour cherries Chopped dried apricots
+ chia seeds
+ flax seeds (I learned recently that your body can’t absorb the nutrients of in seed form; next time I’ll grind up first)

The verdict: 

It’s good. Maybe not the beeesssst ever, but worthy of a remake for sure. That said, I would use the recommended ingredients next time. I didn’t read the science behind the olive oil until after I made it, which apparently does some heavy lifting when it comes to the texture. And I'm sure the ingredients were carefully selected for a reason, so I'll trust the chefs. 

The kids gobbled it down and it lit up my yogurt, so that’s a win. Though my search for the perfect granola continues! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive! I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit! I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me! Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can

Done: Weekender Bag

Happy 2007! I hope you all had a good time ringing in the new year. I have some lofty goals for this upcoming year and some musings on last year, but that's for another post because-- Finally! (the top looks kind of bumpy. I think it looks crisper when I'm holding it.) Pattern. Weekender Bag by Amy Butler Exterior Fabric. Amy Butler, Sunbloom Collection Cording Fabric. Amy Bulter, Charm Collection Lining. Khaki Fabric from Joann's I relied a lot on the tips from other bloggers who made this bag and wanted to give something back to the blogging community, so here are my.... 10 THOUGHTS & TIPS ON THE WEEKENDER 1. Dominating the cording. As the layers increased in the sewing, keeping the cording sandwiched in place became challenging. I had the best luck pinning the fabric together parallel to the fabric edge, rather than perpendicular. Stopping so often to remove pins got a little annoying, but was better than ripping and resewing. 2. Topstitching = Enemy number 1. I d