Skip to main content

Forgive for no posts - I have FOs!

Things that have occupied all my time, leaving me no time to post.

1. Spending a long relaxing Mother's Day weekend with my mom, dad, and sister in South Florida. I even knit a bit, but devoted most of my craft time to....

2. Finishing my sister's Weekender Bag, her v. belated xmas gift. Before leaving for Florida, all I had left was to handsew the lining which I finished the last night of our trip in the hotel room. I'm one of those last minute types. Unfortunately I'm also a dumbass and took not one picture of the finished bag - which came out much cleaner than my version. I envisioned a J. Crewish beach photoshoot with lots of sand and my sister frolicking around. Just imagine instead. Ahhh, beach! Amy Butler! Sun!

3. Packing. Did I mention we bought a house? We close on Friday and although we're surrounded by boxes, we've barely started packing. Luckily, our new house is only a mile away!

4. Passing my insurance test. Check that one off the to do list!

5. Hanging out at this real ale festival with Lobstah and other cool people.

6. Finishing these Knee socks...



Pattern. 48 stitches, toe up. I used
Diana's method of increasing, as I did with these socks.
Yarn. Yarntini Sport in Luxury, 1 350 yd. skein from Pure Knits. Plus a little Dale Baby Ull when I ran out.

Needles. Size 3 Addis.

Time Knitted. A month or two. These have been finished for awhile....
Comments. Sportweight yarn flies! Even with the added thickness, these socks are cozy and well-fitting. See for yourself ...


Miles thinks they're cozy (notice in the vesper knee highs, he's also digging the socks. too funny)

In the interest of full disclosure, I must say I have yet to wear these. It's been pretty warm, so I can blame it on that, but it's mostly because they fall down. I just have to figure out the best method of adding elastic.


Because I'm a dork.


7. Keeping Zoe off another FO, the Big Bad Baby Blanket



She crawled up on this the second I layed it flat.

Pattern. Big Bad Baby Blanket
Source. Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook
Yarn. Blue Sky Alpacas, Organic Cotton in Nut, 4 skeins
Needles. US 8 Addis
Time Knitted. 4/20/07 - 5/3/07
Mods. Subbed yarn, larger finished size.
Comments. This is a great baby shower gift. Great yarn, easy peasy blanket. My only complaint is that the ends were a bit obvious (to me anyway) after they were weaved in. The yarn is a bit rugged, so hopefully non-knitters won't notice.

Okay, back to packing and knocking more stuff off the to do list.

Comments

Anonymous said…
love the socks! I saw them on flickr the other day. Yum!
Stacey said…
lots going on! congrats on the house! how exciting! you could pretty much walk stuff over (or fill a wagon...)

the socks are great! love knee highs!
Navi said…
Ohhh I wanted to se the bag, I have the pattern and plan to do one myself.

The socks are beautiful, love the striping.
Anonymous said…
those socks kick a**.
Chrissy said…
I am SO glad that my cats aren't the only one's who do that! SO GLAD!! It means they're just being cats (instead of jerks, like I'd originally thought).
Lolly said…
I just adore those socks - great color combo! they look so comfy too :)
Risa said…
Oh, I love your socks. There has to be an easy way to make them stay up!
The socks are super-fabulous! They make up for the blog silence, for sure! Love 'em!
craftoholic said…
Great projects! I think your sis should send you some pictures of the bag as thank you ;-) I'd love to see it. I just bought Amy's messenger bag pattern and thought it should be easy, but it's got a million pieces!
Anonymous said…
man those socks rock! love them to bits.
congratulations on buying the house. what a wonderful adventure it will be :0)
Anonymous said…
Love the Burberry colorway! They never caught my attention before, this is the first time I've seen them knitted up.

Congrats on the new house! We're going through that right now, but still in the horrible, torturous process of waiting for an acceptance letter...
Anonymous said…
Those socks are awesome!

Honestly, how difficult was the Weekender Bag? I really want one, but I worry that it will just be a pain in the a@@ to make...
Romi said…
Those are *totally* cool!
I LOVE the socks. That yarn is so pretty...sort of reminds me of sock monkey type colors. I have been wanting that yarn for a while, but yarntini is so hard to find when it isn't sold out!

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive! I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit! I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me! Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can

Done: Weekender Bag

Happy 2007! I hope you all had a good time ringing in the new year. I have some lofty goals for this upcoming year and some musings on last year, but that's for another post because-- Finally! (the top looks kind of bumpy. I think it looks crisper when I'm holding it.) Pattern. Weekender Bag by Amy Butler Exterior Fabric. Amy Butler, Sunbloom Collection Cording Fabric. Amy Bulter, Charm Collection Lining. Khaki Fabric from Joann's I relied a lot on the tips from other bloggers who made this bag and wanted to give something back to the blogging community, so here are my.... 10 THOUGHTS & TIPS ON THE WEEKENDER 1. Dominating the cording. As the layers increased in the sewing, keeping the cording sandwiched in place became challenging. I had the best luck pinning the fabric together parallel to the fabric edge, rather than perpendicular. Stopping so often to remove pins got a little annoying, but was better than ripping and resewing. 2. Topstitching = Enemy number 1. I d

Granola.

In all my years of baking, I don’t think there’s any one food I’ve tinkered with more than granola.  Actually, that’s a lie. Let me try again. Besides chocolate chip cookies, there's no food I've tinkered with more than granola.   But granola! The goal: delicious, crunchy yet chunky enough to eat on its own, and not just dessert masquerading as a healthy snack. Doesn’t sound too hard.  But… the best tasting is inevitably the worst for you (not to name names...Panera copycat recipe). Consistency should not be a trail mix of sugared oats and nuts and fruit. There should be chunks you can hold without crumbling.   So, when I stumbled upon a granola so good the restaurant sends guests home with their own little prepackaged personal sized portion, I had to give it a try. And to document my trials so when I inevitably forget the recipe, I'm writing this post so it’s here waiting and ready. (And maybe, you, too, have been seeking that perfect granola recipe??)