Skip to main content

Electra: Done!

Finally I have some shots of a finished Electra. Here she is:

Pattern: Electra from Rowan 38

Needles: Size 6&7 Susan Bates Aluminum Circs, Size 3 Clover Bamboo Circs

Yarn: Rowan Yorkshire Tweed DK in Revel, Felted Tweed in Midnight and Melody, and Kidsilk Haze in Splendour

Modifications: added a few inches in length

Notes: Overall, I'm pretty happy with the end results, although I think I will block it differently after I wash it next. I was really worried it would be too tight, so I focused on attaining a proper width. I think it's a little too big and looks bulky, plus I wouldn't mind it being slightly longer. I knit a few inches more than the pattern suggested before armhole shaping to keep it a little longer, but I could go for another inch or so. Also, the stripes are a little wonky around the bust from picking up stiches for the collar with smaller needles. I'll try to play around with that, too.

This sweater knits up quickly with a large gauge for the yarn. The resultant fabric is thin and airy and very soft. This was my first fair isle and it was fun to see all the patterns come to life. Purling in fair isle wasn't my favorite part, though.

New Projects:

So, what's the first thing one does after finishing a project? Buy more yarn! This is what I bought...


Definitely some Norwegian Stockings in my future. I have all these sweaters floating around my brain, but I think I'm going to knit a few smaller projects and then see what the weather's like. Also, when I eventually get my Rowan magazine (no, I still haven't received it!) I'm sure I'll want to knit some stuff from that.

I have yet to start my Backyard Leaves for the Knitting Olympics, but plan on casting on tomorrow night. I'm sooo close to finishing Sharfik, I want that off the needles before I start anything else. Pictures of that soon.


Comments

lobstah said…
Electra looks spectacular! And I think you are being too nit-picky...it looks adorable on you!

Great job!
caitlyn said…
The vest is gorgeous!! Congratulations on a beautiful FO. Can't wait to see your Norwegian stockings!

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive!

I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit!

I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me!

Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can e…

Baby Blankets & Booties

I'm finished with all my baby knitting:



Pattern Big Bad Baby Blanket
Source Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook
Yarn Blue Sky Organic Cotton in Nut and Bone, 4 skeins each
Needles Size 8 Addis
Time to Knit Blanket #2 - July 7 - July 15; Blanket #3 - July 17-July 26.
Comments
Great pattern, great blanket. I used larger gauge yarn, so my blankets came out a big larger than the original. I made sure to end each ball of yarn at the end of a row. Because of the thick, organic texture of the yarn, the weaving was really noticeable in a stockinette portion. The garter stitch hid them well, though. The yarn was a drapey dream while knitting, but stiffened up a goot bit after washing / blocking . I'm sure (I hope ) it will soften with use.Mods I opted for garter stitch instead of seed stitch just for timesavings and peace of mind (seed stitch is beautiful, but takes me SO LONG).

The third and final baby blanket was the perfect project to keep my hands busy while ready the 7th HP book. I sat outside,…

Prairie Tunic: Finished!

Prairie Tunic is finished, just in time for the, um, cold weather. I'm just glad it's no longer languishing at the bottom of my knit bag. It's freeing to finish a knit. Here are some pics of the thing: Now for the stats:
Pattern - Prairie Tunic by Veronik Avery
Source - Interweave Knits Spring 2006
Yarn - Jaeger Sienna 4-ply (prescribed yarn) in lilac
Amount of Yarn - 4.5 balls. Pattern called for 5.5 balls (I made a blend of sizes. See below)
Started - May 28, 2006 (wow, that's just sad it took me so long to finish)
Finished - August 27, 2006
Modifications - My tunic is a blend of two sizes to match my body. I started with the 39.5 inch size for the bottom, but decreased 10 extra times so the top would be 36.5 inches. I wish I had made the entire piece 36.5 as the bottom is too big. I kind of knew (famous last words), but kept going just because. I have a plan, though. The pattern instructs you to leave the bottom six inches on either side unseamed, but seaming is in my tunic…