Skip to main content

One Down, One to Go

Yay! I just finished my first Norwegian stocking just minutes ago. Here it is...

It's so warm and comfortable, I can't wait for the other one to be done. With any luck, it won't take as long as the first. I think I might just be the slowest knitter ever. It's taken me two weeks to get through one stocking. If I remember correctly, I think it took Eunny two evenings per stocking. At least I'm having fun knitting them, that's the point, right? Anyway, here's an upclose shot of the heel. I love all the details of these stockings.


Overall, I'm pleased with stocking one and think I can improve on the second. Some of the stitches are a little loose particularly around the join, but I don't think it looks too bad for one of my first attempts at Fair Isle. I also think I might have the longest legs ever. Compared to some of the other stockings I've seen both in the pattern book and online, my stockings required at least a third more of the main pattern motifs. I even had to buy more of the green yarn. At 5'6, I didn't think I was that tall!

Onwards and upwards...

Comments

caitlyn said…
Great job, Kelly!! The stocking looks awesome! I don't think two weeks is a long time at all. Looking forward to seeing the second one!
Melissa said…
the stocking looks so good! considering it is a bit longer than a sock plus is fairisle - i don't think 2 weeks is slow at all!
lobstah said…
Beautiful stocking Kelly! I must be slow too, because I'm pretty sure that stocking would have taken me at least 2 weeks.

And 5'6" is pretty tall (says the 5'2.75" shrimp, he he).
Anonymous said…
fabulous! it looks awesome!
lobstah said…
Hey, me again.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Rebecca in German...we can always get translation help from my sister's boyfriend! I am just crossing my fingers that I actually can find the mags over there!

Hmm...I'll have to ask Greg about the draft. I'm not sure if he was joining in on the league this year. If he does go down to Boston, I'll definitely tag along!
Anonymous said…
Congrats on a nice stocking!
Anonymous said…
nice! the tension is so smooth; can't believe it's your first fair isle project.

and thanks for the gusset advice on my stockings!

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive! I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit! I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me! Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can ...

WIP: February (Little) Lady Sweater

  I’m generally not one to reknit patterns, reread books or rewatch movies. That said, once in awhile I come across one of the aforementioned that warrants repeating. And repeating. And repeating. I can’t get enough. It’s the reason I’ve watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation 400 times, memorized most episodes of Sex and the City and Seinfeld and it’s the reason there is always at least one Elizabeth Zimmermann’s baby sweater on the needles. Mostly the Baby Surprise Jacket (the surprise gets me every time. Seriously, how does that strange stretch of fabric become a sweater?!), but also the February Baby (or Lady!) Sweater .  There’s just something about that gull stitch pattern that makes this sweater fly off the needles. There’s enough to it to keep my interest, but it’s not so taxing I can’t multitask or memorize the pattern. And the garter stitch yoke / lace body combination makes the sweater appropriate for any season, isn’t too girly, and has that little extr...

Nursing Pad Tutorial

Thanks for all the lovely messages about Alice! We're getting into a groove around here and I've finally been able to do a little crafting. My sewing machine has finally seen some use and thanks to some sage advice from Elizabeth over at A Mingled Yarn (Thanks, Elizabeth!), I'm finally able to knit while nursing. Speaking of nursing, after tearing through a couple of boxes of nursing pads I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own more environmentally-friendly version. I couldn't find an available pattern on the internet, so I thought I would share mine with you. There are probably better ways to construct them, but this worked for me. Don't they look like ravioli? What you'll need to make 12 breast pads (6 sets): 1/2 yard cotton flannel* (I used a natural color because I didn't want a wild print peeking through my shirt. You can go crazy with creativity, though) 1/4 yard cotton batting* scissors thread *A note on fabric: I used cotton fl...