Skip to main content

Pirates and Resolutions

Thanks for all the kind comments on the weekender! I've tried to email everyone personally, but all emails are showing up as "noreply." In any case - thanks!

I know I'm a couple days behind New Years for this, but I've been whittling down my resolutions for the upcoming year. So, here are my five knitterly resolutions for '07.

1. Get comfy with making my own mods for a better fit.
2. Only make projects that I know I will wear.
3. Make a fair isle sweater - perhaps a Dale...
4. Do a little designing of my own.
5. Be a better blogger!

And just for kicks, a few non-knitting related resolutions:
1. Keep challenging myself with sewing, I'm seeing some quilting in the near future.
2. Stay consistent with running - maybe another marathon?
3. Keep in better touch with my friends! (I say this every year).

Okay, that's all the housekeeping for today. Now onto a finished object from (gasp!) last year.
WE CALL THEM PIRATES


(fluff courtesy of 50% Alpaca)
ARrrrr!!!
Yarn. Berrocco Ultra Alpaca, 1/2 skein each black and natural


Needles. Size 3 Clover Bamboo 16" circs, Size 3 Bryspun dpns, Size 2 Susan Bates 16" circs.
Mods. Subbed yarn, used larger needles for lining.
(you can see the join in the back, there)

Dates Knitted. December 29 to December 31.
Comments. This pattern rules. So quick and addicting watching the little skulls come alive (ha ha). The yarn was a little 'eh for me. It's soft enough that I thought it would be an appropriate lining yarn (not the best idea, not the worst. a little itchy, but no so much I can't wear the hat). Great yardage, though, I can make a whole other hat (or mittens!).

And for those of you who like this sort of thing: the inner workings.

That's all for tonight. More pics of Beau need taking before I can post that FO, I started a secret project (oooohh!!) and bought yarn for some hot Eunny Jang colorwork projects. Oh, and I finished a marble arch sock.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your hat looks amazing! The strands are so neat.
And the Weekender is fantabulous, too!
Stacey said…
that came out great - so cute! I like your resolutions - all stuff we can live by for knitting. Knit what you will wear and make it fit! :)
lobstah said…
Awesome hat.

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive!

I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit!

I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me!

Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can e…

Baby Blankets & Booties

I'm finished with all my baby knitting:



Pattern Big Bad Baby Blanket
Source Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook
Yarn Blue Sky Organic Cotton in Nut and Bone, 4 skeins each
Needles Size 8 Addis
Time to Knit Blanket #2 - July 7 - July 15; Blanket #3 - July 17-July 26.
Comments
Great pattern, great blanket. I used larger gauge yarn, so my blankets came out a big larger than the original. I made sure to end each ball of yarn at the end of a row. Because of the thick, organic texture of the yarn, the weaving was really noticeable in a stockinette portion. The garter stitch hid them well, though. The yarn was a drapey dream while knitting, but stiffened up a goot bit after washing / blocking . I'm sure (I hope ) it will soften with use.Mods I opted for garter stitch instead of seed stitch just for timesavings and peace of mind (seed stitch is beautiful, but takes me SO LONG).

The third and final baby blanket was the perfect project to keep my hands busy while ready the 7th HP book. I sat outside,…

Prairie Tunic: Finished!

Prairie Tunic is finished, just in time for the, um, cold weather. I'm just glad it's no longer languishing at the bottom of my knit bag. It's freeing to finish a knit. Here are some pics of the thing: Now for the stats:
Pattern - Prairie Tunic by Veronik Avery
Source - Interweave Knits Spring 2006
Yarn - Jaeger Sienna 4-ply (prescribed yarn) in lilac
Amount of Yarn - 4.5 balls. Pattern called for 5.5 balls (I made a blend of sizes. See below)
Started - May 28, 2006 (wow, that's just sad it took me so long to finish)
Finished - August 27, 2006
Modifications - My tunic is a blend of two sizes to match my body. I started with the 39.5 inch size for the bottom, but decreased 10 extra times so the top would be 36.5 inches. I wish I had made the entire piece 36.5 as the bottom is too big. I kind of knew (famous last words), but kept going just because. I have a plan, though. The pattern instructs you to leave the bottom six inches on either side unseamed, but seaming is in my tunic…