Skip to main content

Children's Placket-Neck Pullover: Done


For some reason, I faced the biggest mental block with the name of this sweater. I even had to refer back to Ravelry just to title my blog post. I made this lil sweater for my nephew, set to arrive this November. I cast on for Trellis first, but the pattern and the yarn didn't vibe very well. After two attempts with different needle sizes, I gave up and cast on for the CPNP.

Pattern: Children's Placket-Neck Pullover. Easy to follow and minimal seaming. Will definitely use again.

Source: Last Minute Knitted Gifts

Yarn: 3.5 skeins Mission Falls 1824 Cotton, Colorway 402. Size: 0-6/6-12. Because of the yarn sub, I followed instructions for the 0-6 version, except for the length measurements, of which I followed the 6-12. The final sweater dimensions are those of the 6-12 month size.

Needles: Size 6 Addis.


I enjoyed working with the MF Cotton, but will reserve it for projects with an "organic" feel. Its nubby texture workes well for this stockinette sweater, but hides cables and anything that requires sharp stitch definition.

I encountered some gauge issues... I started with Size 7 Needles, but the fabric was too thin and "holey" for me. I reknit with Size 6 needles and the resulting fabric is nice and dense, but maybe a touch thicker than I prefer. I'd rather err on the the "too thick" side, so I went with the 6's.

Final Verdict: Success! It's a versatile little sweater and because it's cotton, it should transition well through the winter/spring seasons. But for now, this sweater will collect dust while we wait for this baby to get here!


With this sweater off the needles, I am officially free to knit just for my baby! (Unless I fall weak and take on other projects...) I already started a new baby sweater set...

...The Pea Pod Baby Set

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive!

I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit!

I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me!

Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can e…

Baby Blankets & Booties

I'm finished with all my baby knitting:



Pattern Big Bad Baby Blanket
Source Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook
Yarn Blue Sky Organic Cotton in Nut and Bone, 4 skeins each
Needles Size 8 Addis
Time to Knit Blanket #2 - July 7 - July 15; Blanket #3 - July 17-July 26.
Comments
Great pattern, great blanket. I used larger gauge yarn, so my blankets came out a big larger than the original. I made sure to end each ball of yarn at the end of a row. Because of the thick, organic texture of the yarn, the weaving was really noticeable in a stockinette portion. The garter stitch hid them well, though. The yarn was a drapey dream while knitting, but stiffened up a goot bit after washing / blocking . I'm sure (I hope ) it will soften with use.Mods I opted for garter stitch instead of seed stitch just for timesavings and peace of mind (seed stitch is beautiful, but takes me SO LONG).

The third and final baby blanket was the perfect project to keep my hands busy while ready the 7th HP book. I sat outside,…

Prairie Tunic: Finished!

Prairie Tunic is finished, just in time for the, um, cold weather. I'm just glad it's no longer languishing at the bottom of my knit bag. It's freeing to finish a knit. Here are some pics of the thing: Now for the stats:
Pattern - Prairie Tunic by Veronik Avery
Source - Interweave Knits Spring 2006
Yarn - Jaeger Sienna 4-ply (prescribed yarn) in lilac
Amount of Yarn - 4.5 balls. Pattern called for 5.5 balls (I made a blend of sizes. See below)
Started - May 28, 2006 (wow, that's just sad it took me so long to finish)
Finished - August 27, 2006
Modifications - My tunic is a blend of two sizes to match my body. I started with the 39.5 inch size for the bottom, but decreased 10 extra times so the top would be 36.5 inches. I wish I had made the entire piece 36.5 as the bottom is too big. I kind of knew (famous last words), but kept going just because. I have a plan, though. The pattern instructs you to leave the bottom six inches on either side unseamed, but seaming is in my tunic…