Skip to main content

Laptop Sleeve Tutorial

I’ve spent the last year picking up those foam laptop sleeves and inevitably putting them back down because I knew I could make something just as functional and infinitely more fun. Of course, that year saw my laptop getting tossed in and out of my weekender, me fearing that I would damage it, but the worry never reaching the point where I actually did anything to remedy the situation.

Until this week.

laptop sleeve

Of course, I didn’t have the foresight to photograph the process, but hopefully my instructions will provide enough direction should you decide to make one for yourself. And I have a feeling I’ll be making more of these in the future.

You'll need:
-Home Dec Weight Fabric - You'll need enough yardage to make the pieces described below. For my netbook, a fat quarter was just enough fabric. I used an Echino fabric from a couple seasons back.
-Batting - I used fusible fleece. 1/4 yard.
-Lining - I used Michael Miller's Organic Cotton Fleece leftover from a blanket I made Alice. Any flannel or soft fabric will work fine.
-Velcro

39 </P>
<P>365 laptop sleeve

I dug out some favorite home-dec weight fabric for the exterior and some super soft cotton fleece for the lining. I went so far as to buy a yard of high-density foam to serve as the middle layer, but aborted that plan before I even pulled out my scissors. Instead, I opted for some fusible fleece.

Step 1 – Measure your laptop and determine how to cut fabric.
Front & Back Panels = (L+H+1) x (W+H+1). Cut two each of exterior fabric, lining fabric, and batting.
Flap = (L + 1) x (H + 1). Cut one of exterior fabric, lining, and batting.

Step 2 – If using fusible batting, iron to lining fabric.

Step 3 – Create flap.
-Sew one long strip of Velcro (scratchy side) on long side of lining fabric, one or two inches from the bottom. You can do this step before ironing on the batting, too.
-Pin fabric and lining right-sides together. Sew all sides, except top, together. Turn right-side out. Press. Top stitch around three sewn sides. Set aside.

Step 4 - Sew flap to exterior fabric.
-At unfinished edge, center and pin flap to long edge of exterior back panel. Sew. Keep in mind, flap will be a couple inches shorter than exterior panel.

Step 5 - Sew velcro to exterior front fabric.
- Cut two 3 or 4 inch strips of velcro (soft side). Pin, perpendicular from the top of the fabric, a couple inches from each side and an inch or two from top of fabric.
- Sew in place.

laptop sleeve - open

Step 6 - Attach exterior panels.
- With right sides together and velcro matching up, pin and sew the two short sides of the exterior panels. Do not sew top or bottom. Turn right-side out.

Step 7 - Attach lining panels.
- With right sides together, pin and sew the two short sides of the exterior panels. Do not sew top or bottom.

Step 8 - Sew strap
- Take a strip of fabric at least a couple inches wide by at least 8 or 10 inches long. Fold in half, right sides together. Sew along long edge only. Turn right side out. Press. Top stitch along each edge. I usually add a few extra top stitching lines for some added flair.

Step 9 - Sew lining to exterior
- Place interior inside of lining. Match up seams. Right sides should be facing each other.
- Pin along top. Along the side seam of your choice, fold your strap in half, raw edges together, to make a loop. Loop side down, tuck the strap in between the lining and exterior layers. The two raw edges of your strap should match up with the raw edges of your lining and exterior. Sew. A walking foot is helpful to sew through all the layers.
- Turn right side out. Pull lining so it is hanging outside of exterior. Pin and sew along bottom seam. A serger makes a nice, clean seam. If you don't have a serger, a zig-zag stitch and trim will do the trick.
- Tuck lining back in. Top stitch along top seam.

Step 10 - Admire finished product.

Let me know if anything doesn't make sense.  Sewing is kind of an iterative process for me, it's difficult for me to remember all the steps unless I keep track as I go along.  I should remember that for next time, huh?

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is so helpful. Laptop cases are so expensive. Thank you so much.
Jocelyn said…
I'm confused. You said to sew the short sides of the exterior without sewing top or bottom. The top gets sewn to the lining fabric, but when do you sew the bottom together? Maybe I'm just not catching on . . .
Jocelyn said…
Step #7 says to attach the lining panels, but the directions say to attach exterior fabric. Help! I'd love to make this, but I'm so lost!
Great tutorial, i like it, my laptop will have new coat. thanks...

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive! I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit! I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me! Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can ...

WIP: February (Little) Lady Sweater

  I’m generally not one to reknit patterns, reread books or rewatch movies. That said, once in awhile I come across one of the aforementioned that warrants repeating. And repeating. And repeating. I can’t get enough. It’s the reason I’ve watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation 400 times, memorized most episodes of Sex and the City and Seinfeld and it’s the reason there is always at least one Elizabeth Zimmermann’s baby sweater on the needles. Mostly the Baby Surprise Jacket (the surprise gets me every time. Seriously, how does that strange stretch of fabric become a sweater?!), but also the February Baby (or Lady!) Sweater .  There’s just something about that gull stitch pattern that makes this sweater fly off the needles. There’s enough to it to keep my interest, but it’s not so taxing I can’t multitask or memorize the pattern. And the garter stitch yoke / lace body combination makes the sweater appropriate for any season, isn’t too girly, and has that little extr...

Norwegian Stockings

I finished my Norwegian Stockings on Monday... Here they are! NOTES: Pattern: Norwegian Stockings, Folk Socks by Nancy Bush Yarn: Dale Baby Ull, 2 skeins chocolate brown (3172), 1.5 skeins sage green (9436), just enough for snowflakes off white (0020). Needles: Size 2, 40" Addis Dates Knit: February 13, 2006 - March 13, 2006 Modifications: As Eunny and Jess did, I went down a needle size and subbed Baby Ull for Heilo. Notes: It's been said before, but I'll say it again... what a great pattern. Extremely well written, memorizable (is that a word?), and interesting from cast on to cast off. Usually I get sick of projects about halfway through, but trudge through for the cherished FO. With these, I was entertained the entire process and am itching to cast on for some more fair isle. I'm hooked. It feels weird to only knit with one hand! I used magic loop, which kept me sane. I like dpns, but I would have a nervous breakdown if any stitches slipped off ... I'm ...