Skip to main content

WIP: Playful Stripes Cardigan for Penelope

Remember WIP shares? Maybe they’re still happening somewhere, but for years my blog feed has been taken over by FOs – beautiful, carefully photographed ones—but still, no works in progress.

In any case, let’s pretend it’s 2006 again! So, grab your flip phone and let's go...

There’s no dirty mirror selfie with the ubiquitous giant flash, but it’s a crappy WIP shot nonetheless

For my niece’s 2nd birthday, my sister requested a knit sweater to replace the couple of baby sweaters she’s outgrown. I warned her I was a little backlogged, which she totally understood. Not sure she realized it would be ohh… six plus months before a sweater would appear, but better late than never, right?  Did I mention this was back in July?

In our house, there’s a lot of love for the somehow unblogged Ella Funt I made for Greta back when I was pregnant and was in constant wardrobe rotation until she was at least three.  Maybe four. I wasn’t messing around when I said there was a lot of love!  To try and recapture some of that magic, I selected a cardigan pattern with a nice, colorful yoke and a smallish gauge.

Ella Funt in Action

I found Playful Stripes in my usual fashion – the Ravelry pattern browser. I add a couple filters for age, sweater type, gauge (I knew I wanted either sport or dk), and added colorwork OR stranded and then sort by most popular because I have a high level of trust in my fellow raveler.  This is probably basic, but I’m always interested in other knitters’ processes, so now you have mine.

I ordered some Cascade 220 Superwash Sport because a) it was the right gauge, b) it’s superwash, c) I liked their color palette, d) it’s affordable, and e) Cascade is always a sure bet for me.  Separately – I had ordered right before our 10th anniversary trip to Costa Rica so I’d have some moderately-sized travel knitting and it arrived just in the knick of time. STRESS.

I’ve been making a few mods along the way – mostly instead of doing a picot edge I’m opting for a traditional 2x2 rib and I was one color short for the yolk, so I improvised the color scheme a bit.

I’m in the home stretch now with just one button band and blocking to complete. Gotta make sure Penelope gets in some wear before winter is over, right?


Separately on a happy note – I haven’t been knitting nearly as much as I used to and the girls’ interest is definitely piqued. Both are asking when they can expect their sweaters. Win!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Box Bag Tutorial

A couple of you inquired whether I made this pouch based on a tutorial or pattern and if not, if I could provide one. Ask and you shall receive!

I've learned so much from tutorials out on the internets, I'm happy I can give back for once. Bear with me, though. This is my first tutorial and creating one is much tougher than I imagined. I give anyone who's created a tutorial tons of credit!

I feel obligated to preface this by admitting I'm a trial and error sewer. I make things up as I go along and test things during the sewing process to see if I'm achieving my desired results. Also, I taught myself to sew just playing around on a sewing machine, so I don't always use text book methods. Just wanted come clean before you all jump into this and so you have a little understanding if I did something in a backass way. The pattern works, which is all that matters to me!

Because of the versatility of this pattern, my instructions can be used more as guidelines. You can e…

Baby Blankets & Booties

I'm finished with all my baby knitting:



Pattern Big Bad Baby Blanket
Source Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook
Yarn Blue Sky Organic Cotton in Nut and Bone, 4 skeins each
Needles Size 8 Addis
Time to Knit Blanket #2 - July 7 - July 15; Blanket #3 - July 17-July 26.
Comments
Great pattern, great blanket. I used larger gauge yarn, so my blankets came out a big larger than the original. I made sure to end each ball of yarn at the end of a row. Because of the thick, organic texture of the yarn, the weaving was really noticeable in a stockinette portion. The garter stitch hid them well, though. The yarn was a drapey dream while knitting, but stiffened up a goot bit after washing / blocking . I'm sure (I hope ) it will soften with use.Mods I opted for garter stitch instead of seed stitch just for timesavings and peace of mind (seed stitch is beautiful, but takes me SO LONG).

The third and final baby blanket was the perfect project to keep my hands busy while ready the 7th HP book. I sat outside,…

Prairie Tunic: Finished!

Prairie Tunic is finished, just in time for the, um, cold weather. I'm just glad it's no longer languishing at the bottom of my knit bag. It's freeing to finish a knit. Here are some pics of the thing: Now for the stats:
Pattern - Prairie Tunic by Veronik Avery
Source - Interweave Knits Spring 2006
Yarn - Jaeger Sienna 4-ply (prescribed yarn) in lilac
Amount of Yarn - 4.5 balls. Pattern called for 5.5 balls (I made a blend of sizes. See below)
Started - May 28, 2006 (wow, that's just sad it took me so long to finish)
Finished - August 27, 2006
Modifications - My tunic is a blend of two sizes to match my body. I started with the 39.5 inch size for the bottom, but decreased 10 extra times so the top would be 36.5 inches. I wish I had made the entire piece 36.5 as the bottom is too big. I kind of knew (famous last words), but kept going just because. I have a plan, though. The pattern instructs you to leave the bottom six inches on either side unseamed, but seaming is in my tunic…